Directory of Victim Service and Violence Against Women Programs
- Victim Service Directory – this is a list of police-based and community-based victim service workers.
- Children Who Witness Abuse – Counselling Information Contact List
Provides individual and group counselling services for children aged 3 to 18 yeas of age who witness violence against a parent, most often a mother. The program is designed to help break the intergenerational cycle of violence against women by helping children cope with, and heal from, the trauma of living in a violent situation and learn about healthy relationships.
- Stopping the Violence – Counselling Information Contact List
Provides counselling services to women who have experienced sexual assault, relationship violence or childhood abuse. The range of individual and group Counselling services are based on the needs of individual women and delivered in an accessible, safe and supportive environment.
- Outreach Service Providers Contact List
These programs deliver services which include supportive counselling for women, referrals to appropriate community services, local transportation, accompaniment and advocacy.
- Multicultural Outreach Services Providers Contact List
These outreach services are provided in up to 24 languages to ensure women are assisted by people who speak their own language and are familiar with their culture.
Women Fleeing abuse often need a safe place to live. There are three types of housing:
- Transition houses provide safe, temporary 24/7 staffed shelter with support services.
- Safe homes provide safe, temporary short term shelter and support services.
- Second-stage houses help women who have left abusive relationships make plans for independent living. Women and their children usually stay in a second-stage house for 6-18 months.
A List of Transition Houses, Safe Homes and Second-stage Housing is available on the BC Housing website:
See also the Help Lines and Websites page on this website for contact numbers and other services.