Vancouver Riot Review
Thursday September 1, 2011 – Riot Report Released
- NEWS RELEASE: The Night the City Became a Stadium: Independent Review of 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Playoffs Riot
- Executive Summary: The Night the City Became a Stadium: Independent Review of 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Playoffs Riot
- Full Report: The Night the City Became a Stadium: Independent Review of 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Playoffs Riot
On June 20, 2011 the Province, the City of Vancouver and the Vancouver Police Board announced an independent review of the planning and activities that led up to, and the violence that followed, the Stanley Cup final game June 15. The review is led by two co-chairs: Douglas Keefe, former Nova Scotia deputy attorney general, and John Furlong, former head of the Vancouver Olympic Committee (VANOC), see their Biographies.
For more information read About the Review
The co-chairs will report out to the Province, City and Police Board by August 31, 2011. The report will be made public.
Focus of the Review
- What was learned from the 1994 riot and how the findings were integrated into the planning for the Stanley Cup ‘Game Seven’ celebrations on June 15.
- The foundational elements of the Vancouver Police Department/City plans for the event and the relationship of those plans to what transpired in the lead-up to and during the riots.
- The availability of liquor at public events and the contribution the availability made to the events that unfolded on June 15.
- A framework for how the City of Vancouver and the VPD work with the appropriate partners to optimize the safe, inclusive and enjoyable participation of the public in celebrations in the public spaces for which Vancouver is world-renowned.
Note: this review is not, in any way, part of the criminal, police investigation into the riot. However, if you would like to submit photos, videos or other evidence to support police investigations relating to the riot, go to the Vancouver Police Integrated Riot Investigation page – vancouver.ca/police/2011riot/index.html