Crime and Police Statistics
B.C. Crime Trends and Statistics
British Columbia crime statistics are available in four web publications. These web publications contain information on the type and incidence of reported crime in British Columbia
Caution should be used when using data on the number and rate of offences cleared (by charge or otherwise) and the number of persons charged for data prior to 2007. This data is being examined by the Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics (CCJS) because there may be some discrepancies in these rates for some offence categories. Note that overall B.C. clearance rates will not change.
NOTE: the data contained in the following web publications may vary slightly from previous data releases. Where differences exist, it can be assumed that the most current data release reflects the most accurate and up-to-date data.
- Crime Statistics in British Columbia, 2013 - pdf - xlsx
Note: Police Services Division did not produce the narrative detail in “Crime Statistics in British Columbia, 2013” that has been typical of that publication. However, this document continues to present the data in table format for the reader.
- B.C. Crime Trends, 2004 - 2013 - pdf - xlsx
- B.C. Policing Jurisdiction Crime Trends, 2004 - 2013 - pdf - xlsx
- Overview of Data Collection, 2013
Crime Data Sources
Statistics Canada. 2014. Table 252-0081 Incident-based crime statistics, by detailed violation and police service, British Columbia. CANSIM database. Last updated July 23, 2014.
Statistics Canada. 2014. Table 252-0089 Crime severity index and weighted clearance rates, by police service, British Columbia. CANSIM database. Last updated July 23, 2014.
Population Data Source
BC Statistics, Ministry of Citizens’ Services, Province of British Columbia. Last updated February, 2014.
- Total Criminal Code of Canada (CCC) counts exclude traffic offences.
- Crime rates are calculated on the basis of 1,000 population; population estimates are provided by BC Stats.
- Population estimates are provided by BC Stats and may vary from that provided by Statistics Canada.
- Crime statistics publications are not comparable with publications released in other years for two reasons:
- Population estimates provided by BC Stats are sometimes retroactively adjusted to reflect updates census boundaries according to current policy jurisdiction boundaries.
- During the production of each year’s crime statistics, data from the previous year are revised to reflect any updates or changes that have been reported to Statistics Canada from individual police services.
- The policing jurisdictions utilized in crime statistics reports published by Policing and Security Branch reflect operational policing in BC and may vary from those provided by Statistics Canada.
- For a more comprehensive version of our data qualifiers, please see “Overview of Crime Data Collection in British Columbia”
Justice System Open Data Initiative
As a part of the broader Ministry of Justice Reform Initiative and the B.C. Government’s Open Information and Open Data initiative, the Justice System Open Data Initiative seeks to increase transparency and public accountability through the creation and publication of datasets onto DataBC and JusticeBC websites. A partner in this initiative, Police Services Division provides and updates policing-related datasets for release to the public via the DataBC website. Search “police” on the DataBC catalogue to find *new* crime and policing related datasets capturing 2004 to 2013 added in October 2014.
Police Resource Statistics
This publication contains information pertaining to policing costs, strengths and case loads within the province. It also provides a narrative overview of policing functions and responsibilities, a complete list of municipal, provincial and First Nations policing jurisdictions, and statistics relating to police resources.
Note: the data contained in the following web publication may vary slightly from previous data releases. Where differences exist, it can be assumed that the most current data release reflects the most accurate and up-to-date data.