The Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB, the branch) issues licences to:
- pubs, bars, lounges, stadiums, nightclubs and restaurants to sell liquor by the glass, and private liquor stores to sell liquor by the bottle
- breweries, distilleries and wineries to manufacture liquor, and
- UBrews/UVins to sell their customers the ingredients, equipment and advice they need to make their own beer, wine, cider or coolers.
In addition, the branch:
- issues off-site wine store and on-site wine, brewery and distillery store appointments
- regulates both Serving It Right: The Responsible Beverage Service Program and Special Occasion Licences for events such as community celebrations, weddings or banquets (issued through BC Liquor Stores)
- educates those who hold liquor licences (called licensees) about the laws and rules that may affect them, and
- inspects licensed establishments and takes enforcement action when licensees do not follow the Liquor Control and Licensing Act and its Regulations or the specific terms and conditions of their licences.
Liquor Control and Licensing Branch has developed a set of service standards.