Ministry of Justice

Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB)

Applying for a Liquor Licence

Each licence class has its own eligibility requirements and its own licence terms and conditions, outlined in the Liquor Control and Licensing Act and Regulations.

As part of your planning, please note licensing application timelines.

Are you buying a business that is already licensed?

B.C.'s Liquor Control and Licensing Branch issues:

  • Agent's Licences for independent liquor agents who market products from a variety of liquor manufacturers, and BC liquor manufacturers who want to sell their products off-site.
  • Catering Licences for catering companies so they may provide full food and beverage services to their customers at events.
  • Food-Primary Licences for selling liquor by the glass at businesses (restaurants) where the primary purpose is to serve food.
  • Liquor-Primary Licences for selling liquor by the glass at businesses (pubs, bars, lounges, nightclubs, etc.) where the primary purpose is to sell liquor. Private clubs require a liquor-primary club licence.
  • Manufacturer's Licences for making liquor at a winery, brewery or distillery. Manufacturers can also apply to add a lounge, special event area, tour area and/or picnic area endorsement to their manufacturer’s licence.
  • Special Occasion Licences for individuals and groups holding special events, such as community celebrations, weddings or banquets.
  • UBrew/UVin (Ferment-on-Premises) Licences for businesses that sell their customers the ingredients, equipment and advice they need to make their own beer, wine, cider or coolers.

In addition, although no new licences are available at this time: